Pressure : 29.87 in
Dewpoint : 63.0 °
Wind : Southeast
2013 brings new round of Nebraska laws
With a new year comes a host of new laws for Nebraskans. Everything from increased fees to new golf cart regulations. There are ten in all. Here's a look at what to expect:
1) Expect new filing fees at county register of deeds offices for mortgages, wills and other legal documents in 2013.
2) But, while filing fees are going up, LB 887 will reduce filing fees for insurance companies in the state.
3) There's also a new law that will give counties additional notice that property is changing hands because of death.
4) We heard a lot in 2012 about data centers with Kearney's battle to land a top company. 2013 will bring tax incentives for those data centers that choose settle in Nebraska. That includes property and sales tax exemptions.
5) Prepaid cell phones and phone cards will now carry a surcharge. LB 1091 will require stores to collect those fees when they're sold.
6) If you have a classic car that you don't drive regularly, you'll no longer need two plates. Only one is required on them under LB 216.
7) Speaking of specialty vehicles, golf carts will now be allowed on streets, but only those that run alongside golf courses.
8) Also in 2013 there will be new rules in legal matters involving powers of attorney.
9) Businesses that have been dissolved will now only have a 5-year application window to be reinstated with the secretary of states office.
10) And, a new law for employers about unemployment benefits.
Once the department of labor requests information about an employee, businesses have 10 days to submit necessary information.
KHASTV on Facebook