Pressure : 29.98 in
Dewpoint : 60.1 °
Wind : Southeast
Juniata school evacuates after gas leak scare
It was a false alarm, but concerns over a gas leak at an area school forced students and staff to evacuate the building. It happened Friday morning at Juniata Elementary.
Several teachers reported smelling gas inside the school.
They reported the smell to the principal and called 911.
Hastings Fire along with the Juniata Fire Department responded to the call.
Students and staff evacuated to a nearby church for close to an hour.
"We're just being very precautious in what we're doing and just want to make sure everybody's safe. We're not going to take any chances. We evacuated right away and let the professionals come in and do what they need to do," said Adams Central Superintendent Shawn Scott.
No gas leak was found.
Both fire departments and Source Gas searched the building.
Hastings Fire Chief Kent Gilbert says Juniata Elementary took the necessary precautions to ensure everyone's safety.
KHASTV on Facebook