Pressure : 29.86 in
Dewpoint : 64.9 °
Wind : South
A strong winter storm is expected to affect the region Wednesday through Thursday. A strong low pressure system will emerge into the plains on Wednesday spreading accumulating snowfall across the local area. Steady snow will expand in coverage across the entire area by late Wednesday afternoon or evening and end from southwest to northeast Thursday evening. This storm is expected to produce substantial snowfall, areas of blowing snow as well as have the potential to disrupt local ground and air travel.
The following counties will be affected: Valley-Greeley-Nance-Sherman-Howard-Merrick-Polk-Buffalo-Hall-Hamilton-York-Kearney-Adams-Clay-Fillmore-Webster-Nuckolls-Thayer. Including the cities of Ord, Fullerton, Loup City, St. Paul, Central City, Osceola, Kearney, Grand Island, Aurora, York, Minden, Hastings, Clay Center, Geneva,
Red Cloud, Superior, Nelson, Hebron.
A winter storm warning is in effect from 6:00 pm Wednesday to 6:00 pm CST Thursday.
The National Weather Service in Hastings has issued a winter storm warning for heavy snow which is in effect from 6 pm Wednesday to 6 pm CST Thursday. The winter storm watch is no longer in effect.
* Hazard...snow...heavy at times.
* Accumulation...generally 10 to 14 inches...with locally higher amounts possible.
* Timing...the onset of snow is expected by Wednesday afternoon and will continue through the day Thursday. The heaviest snow will fall between midnight Wednesday night and noon on Thursday.
* Winds...east at 20 to 25 mph...with gusts of 30 to 35 mph at times. The wind will become northwesterly and begin to diminish some during the afternoon hours on Thursday.
* Impacts...travel will be difficult and hazardous due to a combination of snow...blowing and drifting snow...low visibilities...and snow covered roads. In addition...flight delays will be possible at area airports.
A winter storm warning for heavy snow means severe winter weather
Conditions are expected. Significant amounts of snow are forecast
That will make travel dangerous. Only travel in an emergency. If you must travel...keep an extra flashlight... Food...and water in your vehicle in case of an emergency.
KHASTV on Facebook