Apartment building catches fire in Grand Island

Tools
  • Print

Created:

Updated: Wed, 05 Mar 2014 09:56:06 CST

One person was hospitalized after an apartment fire caused by an overheated extension cord.

It happened just before 11 a–m on South Cleburn in Grand Island.

One cat was killed in the fire.

Another cat was rescued and given oxygen by fire crews.

There are five apartments in the complex, but only four of them were occupied at the time.

One person was transported to the hospital for smoke inhalation.

Fire officials say a lightweight extension cord plugged into a space heater trigged the fire.

The weather played a part in distinguishing the blaze.

"Upon arrival our crews were seeing heavy smoke from the outside of the building.  We were lucky on this fire it happened at the right time of the day, the temperatures are decent.  Very fortunate, very lucky," said Cody Schmidt, the Grand Island Fire Chief.

Chief Schmidt says the apartment the fire was in is likely a total loss.

But he did add that the fire was contained quickly thanks to a new technology called a compressed air foam system.